Makes 12 small muffins
1 cup walnuts or macadamias
1 cup quinoa flakes or rolled oats
2/3 cup quinoa flour or buckwheat flour
2 Tbsp Cacao Powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp freshly ground cardamom
½ tsp sea salt
160 ml / 2/3 cup plant yogurt (i like coconut)
80 ml / 1/3 cup olive oil, coconut oil or butter
2 ripe bananas, mashed
5 fresh dates, mashed
2 Tbsp Maple syrup or honey
2 large eggs (or 2 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 6 tbsp water)
A large handful of sugar-free chocolate chips, optional
See previous recipe
– Omit Cacao powder and chocolate chips add;
– Fruits, nuts, superfoods etc., it should all equal 1-1.5 cups. (ex; use 3/4 cup blueberries and 3/4 cup strawberries. If you want more fruit, feel free to add it, just know you’ll have a “wetter” muffin.
Some of my favorite flavor combos are:
– Blackberry + chia (add 1-1.5 cup blueberries + 2 tbsp chia)
– Apple + walnut + cinnamon
– Blueberry + spirulina (add 1-1.5 cup blueberries + 2 tbsp spirulina)
– Strawberry + rhubarb
– Carrot + pecan (shred carrots)
– Lemon zest + blueberry
– Quinoa Flour: I use this flour because it’s light but packed with protein. When I want a heartier, earthier taste, I’ll use spouted spelt or oat flour, and for a smoother texture coconut flour is great!
– If your bananas feel small, use an extra one. They really help make it a moist, delicious muffin!
– Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
– Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease the pan with oil or butter.
– Add walnuts (or macadamias) and quinoa flakes to a food processor and mix quickly into a coarse chunky flour.
– Transfer to a large mixing bowl together with the rest of the dry ingredients.
– Add wet ingredientes to a food processor or blender and mix until smooth, then transfer to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
– Divide the batter into the muffin tins, drop a bunch of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin and gently push them down a bit. Add the granola on top of the muffins. Bake for about 18-20 minutes. Best enjoyed still warm from the oven.
Notes on directions
– Sometimes I’ll double the recipe and make BIG muffins … you know, the ones that bubble over the sides. Yum!
Eat. Share. Enjoy.
December 23, 2017